Friday, February 13, 2009

Facing a fear - Dentists

I have an insane fear of dentists. In the past I have had a few very disturbing experiences at the dentist. One in particular was when I was 8 years old and was kicked in the mouth with a rollerskate and lost about 8 teeth in 2 seconds (luckily baby teeth). I remember waking up on an empty roller-rink floor lying in a pool of blood with dozens of people staring at me in horror. Then I don't remember anything more until I was strapped to a dentist chair and they were doing surgery (they hadn’t given me enough NO to knock me out so I came to in the middle of the surgery).

Because of this and of course the insanity that is the COST of going to the dentist I have made excuses for over 16 years not to go. I brush my teeth and floss fairly regularly (gotta love my SonicCare). I found out this week that I have an unnatural quantity of Cavity causing bacteria in my mouth. On the good side my gums are in decent condition except for a couple small areas where bone loss has caused them to recede.

Off track: Did you know that the first person to kiss a baby transfers their MOUTH health to the baby? Unlucky for me both of my parents have a high level of cavity causing bacteria (my mom had her last few teeth pulled before she was 30 and my dad only has about 6 teeth left, dentures were a normal part of my youth). If you are pregnant or plan to be pregnant make sure they whoever in your family that has the best teeth is the first to kiss the baby. J Back on track.

With the help of my doctor I have finally been able to make an appointment to have my teeth and gums assessed. My doctor has been talking to me about it for over a year because mouth disease can affect your whole body. With me trying to (finally) do the right thing and get my body in shape I HAVE to address the infections and bacteria in my mouth or I will only be partially healthy even if I get to my goal weight. I went to the dentist yesterday (without throwing up which is HUGE) and this morning I went to an oral surgeon. I am going to have to have a few teeth pulled including my impacted wisdom teeth. This will be happening next Friday. I am terrified but I am resolved that this is something I HAVE to do. I have justified in my mind that the pain I will go through getting things back on track will be far less then the pain I have lived with almost daily for the last 15 or so years. With the loss of several fillings over the years my teeth have fallen into a serious state of disrepair. It will cost me a ton of money but I also know that I cannot wait any longer to fix this. The hygienist at my dentist is wonderful. She put me at ease very quickly and as soon as the Oral surgeon walked into the room I felt comfortable. This is so odd to me since I have spent so many years absolutely terrified to even think about making an appointment.

If you are like me and have put off going to the dentist please do me and yourself a favor and go. Even if you are not in pain there could still be infections that can cause problems.

On a funny note the hygienist was so funny. When she saw the plaque that has accumulated on my teeth she was so excited by the “challenge” LOL. I think I like her. Heh

Stay healthy and whatever you are putting off for whatever your reason… get over it. I am.

On a side note: Shadow is getting healthier everyday and will go in for a sonogram of his liver next week.

Bill is doing fine. He had his 24 hour blood pressure monitor the other day and his blood pressure is higher then it should be. They think his "incident" may have been caused by that. More tests to be run soon so I will keep you informed.

Also: Any suggestions for soft foods I can eat after the surgery? Ice Cream is NOT a good plan with my cold sensitivity. :-)

3 comments:

Char said...

Interestingly enough Leslie, some OB docs are now encouraging their patients to get any dental caries fixed before delivery so that the bacteria does NOT get passed on to the new baby!

It really helps to find a dentist that is gentle and friendly and puts you at your ease -- and it sounds like you've found one.

Be careful not to suck on anything --straws, etc. -- after your surgery as sucking breaks up the clot that needs to form for healing.

We'll be thinking about you on Friday! And thanks for the update on Bill.
Char

Anonymous said...

I ate lot of hot and sour soup, and some potstickers eventually. Quite delicious.

Unknown said...

soft foods?

yogurt (ugh)

soup (meh)

pudding (not really food, but it's PUDDING!)

malt-o-meal (good enough if covered in sugar & cream)

that's all I got