Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Fear

Fear:

A feeling of agitation and anxiety caused by the presence or imminence of danger.
A state or condition marked by this feeling: living in fear.
A feeling of disquiet or apprehension: a fear of looking foolish.
Extreme reverence or awe, as toward a supreme power.
A reason for dread or apprehension: Being alone is my greatest fear.

Dentophobia is the fear of dentists.
What are you afraid of? Me? I have a fear of dentists. It stems from an episode when I was a kid. Today I went to the dentist for the cleaning I have needed for 15 years. Today was torment like I have not experienced in a very long time. I know I have a fear of dentists and I have managed to avoid it for a long time. After my initial consultation I was feeling much better about it. After I went to the oral surgeon and they knocked me clean out and pulled several of my teeth I was beginning to wonder what I had been afraid of for so long. So this morning after only a minor amount of stomach cramping and headaches I went in for my first cleaning. Now, I remember why I have avoided it . 2 hours of scraping and pressure washing my teeth. 6 doses of Novocain because I am wired wrong (the hygienists words). I am still numb several hours later and the parts that aren’t are still bleeding. Some might think I sound like a big baby and honestly I kind of feel like it.

What do you fear? Snakes? Spiders? Heights? Small spaces? Basically this morning would be the equivalent of someone with a fear of snakes being lied down and snakes wrapped around his neck for 2 hours. So maybe not so much a baby as a chicken. Heh

Well anyway my bottom teeth feel nice and squeaky and I am glad I did it. On Monday I get to go back and do the top half and then when I am done healing up from all the poking I will be scheduling my root canals. It will be nice to have clean teeth and no infections in my gums for the first time in as long as I can remember.

Now maybe I can try and find some other fear to face off against. LOL Any suggestions? Maybe I could go leap off the side of a mountain? How about getting locked in an elevator with too many people? Any suggestions?

No comments: