Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tuesday

So I have actually had a quiet couple of weeks. Got through my teeth extractions and Bill has been conscious the whole week. I am really becoming grateful for the “down” times when no one ends up in the hospital or has major drama.

So I was sitting at work last Thursday and the nurse from my doctor’s office calls. The doctor wants to see me for a “review” of my last check up. The nurse wouldn’t say anything more so I scheduled my appointment for yesterday and set holding my breath. I get to the doctor and as I sit in the waiting room it dawns on me. I had my blood draw 7 days after I had my teeth pulled. I laugh and then when I go back to talk to the doctor I mention it. She had called me in because my blood had come back with high white blood count, high platelets, etc. The teeth problems explains a lot of it but she also noticed that my glucose level was far too high for me and I am back up in the pre-diabetic stage. I have not been back in this realm for a few years and so she is concerned.

This is an interesting discover because the last few months I have been overly thirsty and tired and just blah and I have had a dickens of a time losing weight. So I am pre-diabetic again. The problem with this is I also have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and IR (insulin resistance) so when my sugar is high my body is not using my insulin properly which means I don’t lose weight. She and I talked and I am going to try Metformin (a diabetic medicine) again to see if it can help stabilize me so I can drop more of the weight. Now the last time I took this I was having huge problems with my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and I was also eating fast food about 10 times a week if not more. I was not eating healthy at all and God knows I wasn’t exercising. So I had endless problems with the medicine and after a short period of time I gave up on it. Now I am eating better (most of the time) and am much more aware of my body and how it works and what causes problems. So I am feeling better about getting myself back on track and actually seeing results. J

1 comment:

Aunt Mei said...

oooh. Hope you can get this under control. My friend Jaye uses Bios Life 2 (which we refer to as her "brew") and it's been helping her maintain her glucose level....

It's freakin' expensive, though.

How's your kitty?