Monday, May 18, 2009

Good friends and Good Food!

I read somewhere that if you really want to get to know an area get out and walk. I am really discovering how true this is. Bill and I have spent most afternoons and evening and some of each weekend walking. When the weather is bad we walk in malls or wherever we can find shelter but with all the sun and beautiful weather we have had this spring we have been walking trails we knew were there but never really paid much attention to before. Whether it’s a trail that runs behind the local grocery store and through the town arboretum or a bike path that used to be a train track that runs miles and miles and has hidden parks and picnic areas we are learning all types of interesting things about the area. A month ago Bill showed me a path that runs along the nearby Cedar River. After a fairly short walk we discovered a bridge that was being replaced with a sign that explained King County’s plans for the path. It was quite cool. Then he showed me a path that runs behind the scenes right through the center of town and through the parks areas in Maple Valley.

Last week we were driving around and decided to check out the Green River Trail in Tukwila. We had gone down to REI to pick up a couple of Camelbaks, I have fallen in love with my Camelbak backpack and decided to take advantage of the big sale they were having to grab a few more. J I don’t know if I figured if I spent more money on hiking gear I would be more likely to do it or what… heheh

So we started along the path and about a mile or so in we discovered this cute little park practically in the middle of nowhere. The closest parking for the park we found later is about 1/5 of a mile away. So we decided we are going to look up the Green River Trail and spend the next month (or so) discovering it.

So yesterday was Bill’s birthday. We went a little overboard this weekend but you only have birthdays once a year. We spent Sunday early afternoon at the ball game. What a game Boston Red Sox V. Mariners. I am becoming conflicted as to who I want to win in these games… I think it has something to do with Griffey being back and the hope that maybe this year will be the best year in a LONG time. J I am the under-dog supporter. After the game We went out to lunch with one of my best friends in the world Amy and her sister. After a poll I had heard that one of the best places to eat here was Elliott’s on the waterfront. So we headed down and spent a couple hours walking in the sunshine and catching up. Then we had dinner. I have never had the pleasure of eating Copper River Salmon before. With the season being celebrated on the news this week I figured I was in for a treat. I had the Salmon and asparagus with wild rice. It was fabulous. Bill got the Dungeness Crab grilled in a sweet and spicy sauce. Since it was his birthday we had dessert. His choice was these chocolate truffles they roll in graham crackers and almonds and then DEEP FRY with vanilla ice cream they put in a little bowl made out of something similar to a brittle. Yum!

It was great to see Amy again after soooooooooooo many years. I have decided there is not much better in the world then good friends and good food… preferably together!

I am a bit burnt out from work and I have 2 root canals on Wednesday so I have decided to take Wed. through Friday off. I am going to relax at home and hang out while the cleaners come and do the carpets. Then we should be able to actually list the house by the end of the week. (crosses fingers). Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Char said...

We'll be thinking about you on Wednesday! Here's hoping everything goes VERY well!
Char and Forry

PS Are you still thinking about a road trip?