Saturday, May 23, 2009

Into the woods…

So there are times in life that I realize what a chicken I am. More on that in a moment…

So today was beautiful. We left the castle at about 9. We stopped at the Village Bakery Café and had breakfast and grabbed a chocolate croissant and a Hawaiian fudge brownie for the road. We drove all over Port Townsend (a quaint little town) and then spent most of the day discovering little back roads from Port Townsend, through Sequim (pronounced Squim, like squid) into Port Angeles and then on to Forks. Forks is quite… unremarkable. We had decided to have lunch in Forks and we had a selection of about… 3 restaurants. On top of that we were hoping to grab a few supplies for the cabin (we brought the travel grill and the cabin has a full kitchen) and there was only 1 grocery store and it looked to be about 50 years old. Sadly they had a better selection of Twilight t-shirts then they did sandwich meat but at least they had most of what we needed.
After lunch we headed down to Iron Springs Resort. Bill and his family had been here many times for family vacations and he and I have been twice before. The cabins sit right along the ocean on cliffs and it is just beautiful. We have come for a few reasons, we are not sure once we sell the house when we will be able to make it back and also because after Bear passed it was agreed by the family that Iron Springs was his favorite place and so it was time for Bear to be where he belongs. I also very much needed a break from everything and so here we are at Iron Springs.

I need to get some pictures of the cabins tomorrow then I can post them. It is just astonishingly beautiful and peaceful here. We barely get a cell signal and never manage to get a call. There is no wifi which at times is annoying but is also a relief to know I couldn’t log on if I wanted to. (We have to drive to Ocean Shores tomorrow to get conditioner since I left the one I brought at the castle LOL so I will log on at a coffee shop there to post this.) It is just Bill, me, the waves and the jeep. Well and a lot of trees. Then there is the recent addition of the mouse. Back to where I began this blog… There are some times in life I wish I had toughened up a little. In this area I seem to be painfully woman. Why can a little fuzzy creature that when in a cage or on a computer screen is so cute terrifying when it is running between the couch and the refrigerator? LOL

This evening I had a nice quiet evening to myself. I am still fighting this head cold and so once we were checked in I decided I was just gonna chill out tonight while I sent Bill off to spend his quality time with Bear. I sat on the couch and worked on a couple new play lists for our drive tomorrow and the way home as well as a nice romantic group of songs for the evening. Bill came back just before sunset because it was a tad chilly with the wind coming off the ocean with pretty good force. We sat on the couch chatting with a nice fire in the fireplace. I got up to go to the bathroom while Bill was looking for a snack and I walk back into the living area and I see a little movement near the base of the couch. At first I think it was a play of the light from the fireplace until a few seconds later I see it again… this time it very clearly has a tail. *insert hysterical woman sounds* Well Bill being my “Man” I expect him to go forth and smite the dragon… well Bill is not quite the dragon slayer I had anticipated and so here we sit with the bedroom door closed and a good amount of stuff blocking the crack under it. I don’t know how I will manage to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

We did TRY and chase it from beneath the fridge but once Bill got up enough nerve to look under it there was no sign of the bugger. We don’t know if he found some crack or crevasses or if he might be under the oven. So Bill, being the braver of the two of us, put all our food into the fridge in hopes that it can’t break through the door (LOL) and then we came to hide from the wee mouse. I guess this is payback for playing the Moushunter game on Facebook. LOL

From Bill - I need some equal time here – Leslie squeaked, I responded to the squeak. But then I quickly recovered and armed myself with the fireplace broom. I know people always arm themselves with a broom when confronting a mouse – and it was all we had. OK so it might have been a little short – but it was sturdy. I then got between the furious rodent and Leslie – to protect the incent mouse from her (or was that the other way around). I wanted to move the refrigerator out of the way to look behind it but Leslie kept saying that if I did that I would just end up chasing the mouse back towards her. I think you get the idea – I did my best to slay the dragon (mouse or whatever – but I did not want to hurt it, or me in the process).

1 comment:

Char said...

Bill, I'm glad you got a chance to put in your "side of the story!"