Thursday, March 22, 2007

Day 6 - Tucumcari, NM to Albuqurque (of however you spell it), NM

This morning we wake to rain. It's a nice break from the heat of yesterday. According to the locals this is a hard rain. It only rains for a few hours and stops before we hit the road. Bill, the Blue Swallow Motel, suggests we have breakfast burritos down at Rubee's Diner. I tend to trust locals when it comes to food so we head on down for some AMAZING breakfast burritos and biscuits and gravy (ohmy!). Our last stop out of town is the Tee Pee Curios Shop. The shop is immaculate. Not your typical cluttered shop. The owner is awesome and so is Maya his pet rat terrier. I grab up 3 more magnets for my collection even thought there are easily 10 I would love to buy. As I turn the corner I am shocked to see they have home made bags from fanny packs up to duffle bags. There is a small satchel type bag that catches my eye. The material is Route 66. I am gaga. I go to look at the price tag expecting it to easily cost $20.. But No! it's $6.98! I am so pleased I giggle and grab one of the bags to take as my own. It is fairly small but easily holds my wallet and the camera. It will hold a few other items but I don't want to stuff too much in there now.

I am quite pleased with my collection of magnets to date. I have 2 from Arches, one of which is a 3D arch… very cool. I also have one from the Hole in the Rock. I picked up 4 in Amarillo 1 is a Texas Route 66, 1 for the Big Texan and the 3rd is Cadillac Ranch and the 4th is a Mother Road Route 66 3D magnet with old 50s Cadillacs pictured. At the Tee Pee I pick up a Tucumcari Tonight magnet, a Blue Swallow Magnet and a New Mexico Route 66. My fridge is not gonna know what hit it. LOL

This morning we are listening to the Cars CD from the movie. It's a great driving CD. I really hope more people will become interested in driving Route 66 from all the new movies out regarding it. For those that haven't seen it… Wild Hogs is a fantastic movie. On that note if you haven't seen Cars my first question would be "Where have you BEEN?!?!" then I would highly suggest you pick it up on DVD. It's one of Pixars best movies yet.

So with every meal for the past few days there is something the waiter will ask every time… "Would you like Green chili on that?" and every time they ask I have to say yes. I keep trying to resist. I even went to a Diner hoping to get a simple cheeseburger but then he said, "would you like green chili on that?" and of course I said… yes… So they bring me this burger it's the bottom bun with the hamburger on top smothered in a delectable queso and chopped chilies on top. So much cheese that the burger is actually surrounded by a small pool of the stuff. It may kill me but it was amazing….

Bill and I have agreed to TRY again to avoid it tomorrow but I fear they may offer to put it on my pancakes and I will have to say… yes please!

We reached Albuquerque OH LOOK! I actually spelled it right myself this time! We are staying at the Monterey NON-SMOKING Motel… It's actually yhe name LOL. Sounds like a place made for me. The first thing the manager asked in a gruff Ukrainian accent when we asked for a room was "Do You Smoke?" We promptly say no and he becomes more friendly. We seem to be having issues with our wifi tonight so I am hoping to get this posted. More tomorrow.

No comments: