Saturday, March 17, 2007

Oregon to Twin Falls, Idaho



As we drive up and down the “hills” of Oregon we are reminded every few miles that we are driving along the Oregon Trail. To think that hundreds of years ago, more than 50,000 people threw their families into covered wagons and began a road trip of a different sort. There would be no roads for them to traverse but they would make their mark on the world. We stop at the Deadman’s Pass Rest Area and there are signs with part of the story of these adventurers that set out to find a new home. I bet at the time they did not consider themselves pioneers but they truly pioneered their way across the country. The sign says there are still wheel ruts permanently carved into the countryside near where we stand. I am disappointed that we won’t be able to go hike this area to see these marks left by our ancestors but we have more mileage we need to cover before we lose the sun if we hope to catch sunset in the Arches. I will definitely add this to my list of places I need to learn more about.

5:25 we move into the Mountain Time Zone. We are unhappy to lose the hour today… but will be very happy to have the extra hour on Route 66. J

As we were getting closer to dinner I checked the “Find Nearby Places” feature on the Streets & Trips program. I found out that Boise, Idaho has a Cracker Barrel. This is an old favorite from when I lived in the South. I was quite excited. So we stopped in for dinner. The Roast Beef with mashed potatoes was excellent. Bill had the Hickory Smoked Ham and veggies. I know it’s not really “authentic road food” but it was yummy and a taste of home… and I did have the potatoes!!! Heh

Back into the car, night has fallen and we are going to make it at least a couple more hours. We were really hoping to stay in Burley but may “crash” (maybe I shouldn’t use that term…) in Twin Falls.

We have reached Bliss. Well at least this small town named Bliss. Heh I love the names of these places.

Yup Twin Falls it is. We looked in our trusty GO Roadtripping USA! Book and found the El Rancho Motel that has microwaves and FRIDGE!! In the rooms. So we are going to stop there for the evening.

No comments: